Thought, fact and quote for the day 7/5/12
Seven Acre Horse Sanctuary - Giving horses/ponies a second chance..
My Blog

Thought, fact and quote for the day 7/5/12

Thought 4the day: When things are at their worst are they really at their worst or just a little difficult at that time? We adjust. Horses adjust. Any animal can given time. I have a 3 legged staffie and she adjusted very quickly i can't remember her with 4 legs! She runs fast then the others and digs lol Things in life can be sent to test us just take a deep breath and carry on!
 
 
Fact 4the day: There are many plants that are poisonous to equines. The species vary depending on location, climate and grazing conditions. In many cases entire genuses are poisonous to equines and include many species spread over several continents. Plants can cause reactions ranging from laminitis (found in horses bedded on shavings from black walnut trees), anemia, kidney disease and kidney fai...lure (from eating the wilted leaves of red maples), to cyanide poisoning (from the ingestion of plant matter from members of the Prunus genus) and other symptoms. Members of the Prunus genus have also been theorized to be at fault for Mare Reproductive Loss Syndrome. Some plants, including yew, are deadly and extremely fast acting. Several plants, including nightshade, become more toxic as they wilt and die, posing a danger to horses eating dried hay or plant matter blown into their pastures.

There is an increased risk of animals becoming ill during the fall, as many plants slow their growth in preparation for winter and equines begin to browse on the plants that are left. Many toxic plants are unpalatable, and so animals will avoid them where possible. However, this is not always the case; locoweeds for example are addictive and once a horse has eaten them once they will continue to eat them whenever possible and so can never be exposed to them again. When a toxic plant is ingested, it can be difficult to diagnose because exposure over time can cause symptoms to occur after the animal is no longer exposed to the plant. Toxins are often metabolized before the symptoms become obvious, making it hard or impossible to test for them. Animals that are hungry or thirsty are more likely to eat poisonous plants, as are animals pastured on overgrazed lands. Animals with mineral deficiencies due to poor diets will sometimes seek out poisonous plants. Poisonous plants are more of a danger to livestock after wildfires, as they often regrow more quickly.
 
 
Quote 4the day: cherish every moment with your four legged friend as every moment is precious :o)
Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint