Thought, fact and quote for the day 18/5/12
Seven Acre Horse Sanctuary - Giving horses/ponies a second chance..
My Blog

Thought, fact and quote for the day 18/5/12

Thought 4the day: When is it time to let them go? How do you know its time to let them go? Is it when they wake you and call you and share their pain their thoughts. Be thankful they have trusted and loved you and shared with you and then you can realise how and why they need to leave. Acceptance of a situation says more. Life is life and even when they cross over they wait at the bridge for you. We can let them go and still have them near. Its always hard to say good bye but then at least we can give them that inner peace.
 
 
Quote 4the day: Life is confusing at the best at times just go with the flow and hold on to your horse..
 
 
Fact 4the day: Do Oak Trees Pose a Health Risk to Your Horse?

While many animals in the wild depend on the acorn for their nutritional needs, the acorn poses a toxicity risk to some animals, including horses, cattle, goats, and sheep. Although cattle are much more sensitive to the toxins in acorns than horses, large amounts of ingested acorns can induce severe illness. This is due to the tannic ...and gallic acids in the acorn, which can cause severe damage to the gastrointestinal system and kidneys.

•Constipation
•Anorexia
•Colic (pain in the abdomen)
•Blood in the urine
•Kidney damage
•Dehydration
•Fluid accumulation in the legs (edema)

Causes

Acorn poisoning is caused by the ingestion of large amounts of acorns, oak leaves, or branches. Many times acorns are ingested by accident, and in small amounts they are harmless, especially when combined with the normal roughage of hay and grass. There is anecdotal evidence that some horses develop a liking bordering on addiction for acorns and will actually seek them out, overindulging to the point of illness.

Diagnosis

Diagnosis can be difficult unless the horse has an obvious history of acorn ingestion. Occasionally, acorn remnants can be found in the horse’s manure.

Treatment

There is no antidote for acorn poisoning. Activated charcoal has been known to be an effective treatment for acorn poisoning, if given immediately after acorn ingestion, as it can absorb toxins in the gut and allow them to be excreted from the system.

As dehydration is a common sign of acorn toxicity, IV fluid therapy is often warranted. This will help combat fluid loss from diarrhea and help ward off impending renal failure. IV fluid therapy can also help support the horse’s circulatory system and assist in the prevention of shock in severe cases of acorn toxicosis.
Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint